It’s October so fall decorating is in full swing, everyone’s gearing up for Halloween and cooler weather and the pumpkins and cornstalks are appearing everywhere! Even down here at Disney world the parks are decked out in fall decorations, complete with Jack o’Lanterns and everything!
I used to love this time of year when I was younger because my mom always made our house look so great, we always had amazing mums, pumpkins and corn stalks out front of the house. It was perfect with the backdrop of the fall foliage. The best part of fall decorating is how easy it is, you can grab a few branches from outside to use, pick up a few pumpkins or gourds or even use some apples from that apple picking trip! Here are some of my favorite ways to decorate for fall!
Fall is a great time to get outside and be active: it’s not so hot that all you want to do is sit at the pool so you don’t melt, and it’s not so cold that you need to be bundled up in hats, gloves and down jackets while still freezing! It’s cool and crisp and generally perfect for all sorts of great activities, many of which are around only in the fall! Here are some of my favorite fall activities! These would be great with friends or for a date!
1. Go apple picking. Clearly the best fall activity – get a group of friends and head to your closest orchard and spend the day eating picking apples and exploring the orchard and farm! If you’re in the city this is an especially nice escape because it gets you out of the typical craziness and gives you some time to unwind and relax.
2. Corn maze! Go to a corn maze, bonus if it’s a haunted corn maze, like this one, at night! Go with a group of friends then split up and see who gets to the end first. Last year I did this with some friends and we got lost for almost 2 hours in the corn maze! It was so fun.
3. Have a pumpkin carving party. This time of year is pumpkin spice flavored everything. Make some pumpkin treats and have your friends come over for a fun pumpkin carving party/contest!
4. Make homemade apple sauce or apple cider. Chances are if you’ve gone apple picking you have more apples than you know what to do with. There are some super easy crackpot recipes for apple sauce and cider and it’s always so much tastier knowing you made it yourself.
5. Have a bonfire. It’s still pretty warm in DC, but it does cool down at night a bit. The nights are perfect to have a campfire with a whole bunch of people. I love curling up in a blanket outside by a nice fire with friends!
6. Go for a hike and see the gorgeous foliage!
7. Go to a fall festival or county fair.
8. Go on a ghost tour! I love ghost tours – they’re such a cool way to learn about a place’s history (yes I’m kind of a nerd, and yes I totally believe in ghosts!) I’m headed to Charleston at the end of the month and I think I’m going to have to convince my friends to do a ghost tour while I’m there! What better time of year to do it than October too!
9. Halloween movie night! Last weekend when I was in Boston Hocus Pocus was on repeat on TV. I remembered how much I love all those old Halloween movies like that and Halloweentown.
10. Do some service, whether you participate in Socktober or go to a soup kitchen, it’s getting cold and we’re approaching the holidays, spend a Saturday or Sunday helping those in your community that could use an extra hand!
How many of these have you already done or are planning for this month? And what should I add to my list, any favorites of yours that I missed?
If you’ve been reading bree west for the past month or so you’ve probably figured out that I’m mildly completely obsessed with all things fall, but especially the fashion. I love layering, boots, sweaters, basically everything about it! Here’s one of my favorite wear to work outfits for the fall, it’s comfortable and super easy but still polished and professional enough for the office!
I love a good blazer and this one might be my absolute favorite one! I love the elbow patches and the gold buttons, it goes with everything and it’s so comfortable. The best part is, the sleeves are long enough! That’s a huge problem I run into with blazers, they’re never long enough for me so when I tried this one on I was so excited! The J.Crew Minnie pant should be a staple in every girls wardrobe, they’re comfortable like leggings but still work appropriate, insert thumbs up emoji here. I’m excited to finally be wearing my favorite fall pieces but I wish Mother Nature would cooperate, it was hot taking these pictures today! Especially with those boots on, 75 degrees on October 2nd is a little too much, I know I shouldn’t complain because in some places they’re already getting snow! No thanks!
Thanks for stopping by! I'm Bree, compulsive traveler, lover of all things turquoise and anything navy and white. The ocean makes my heart happy, and while I'm trying to figure out what's next I'm sharing a little bit of my journey here!