happy friday! i’m so looking forward to a nice long weekend, the last couple weeks have been very slow at work, which can be nice but also very very boring! but hey, that’s a hazard of working in dc right? august is notoriously a slow month, everyone gets out of town because it’s unbearably hot and humid. labor day weekend is always a fun long weekend too! everyone says goodbye to summer and welcomes fall (even though down here we still have at least 3 more weeks if not a month left of summer weather) it’s a great weekend for cookouts, last minute beach trips and of course shopping thanks to all those great labor day weekend sales!
i’m laying low this weekend, hopefully finishing painting the apartment- what can i say? i’m the queen of procrastination! and maybe picking up a few pieces to add to my very very empty living room! i’m also going to spend some of the long weekend exploring my new neighborhood, which i’m absolutely loving by the way. i snapped that picture of the cathedral earlier at the end of my evening run, i love stepping outside my door and having such a gorgeous view right across the street!
for the stylish one:
i’m obsessed with this clutch, i love the tassel on the zipper, the python detailing, the gold monogram (not shown in the picture but you can add it on) it’s gorgeous!
for the photographer:
this is a really great post about how to get a better instagram picture, i definitely use snapseed and the editing tools on instagram itself. follow me on instagram and see the outcome; i think there’s a huge difference in my pictures from before i started editing to now. anyone have any secret insta tips?
for the blogger:
i went to my first blogger scene event on wednesday and it was so great! i met so many great bloggers in the city and learned a lot from some more experienced bloggers. i’m especially excited to work on my editorial calendar after hearing from abbey at district dress up!
for the runner:
my official training for the dopey challenge in january started this week. 48.6 miles over 4 days, that i voluntarily signed up for, and paid money to race – i might have something wrong with me. this article has some really good tips for the challenge, but also just running any races in general!
for the bookworm:
i just finished #girlboss, it’s so good! stay tuned for a review next week. have you read it, what did you think?
i hope you all have a lovely long weekend! drop me a line if you have any links i should check out this weekend!
it’s been a long and great month full of some really exciting and fun things. i have been fortunate enough to spend most of the last month with some of my closest friends from high school, in new york city, charleston and finishing up this week/weekend in dc; i finally closed on my condo last week and am now a proud homeowner; and i’ve made some exciting steps in the blogging world. overall, it’s been a really great month, but also an exhausting one. i don’t know about you but this week just about killed me between another week of hosting people in dc and getting my apartment semi-set up and painted, not to mention it’s been a particularly busy week at work! this morning i realized just how exhausted i was and stopped and looked at my new favorite app sleep cycle and realized just how little sleep i’ve been getting. and it’s definitely starting to catch up with me. i’m headed to charlottesville, va for a weekend getaway with some of my friends and we’re staying at a country club that doesn’t allow any technology outside of your private rooms! and while i wish i was heading somewhere like that photo, i’m hoping the little escape from the world and a weekend at the pool will do me some good and give my body the break it’s so desperately craving.
in the meantime here are some fun things if you’re looking for weekend reading
for the insomniac:
you need this app. while it won’t help you fall asleep or remedy your insomnia, it helps you track and learn about your sleeping habits and what daily habits contribute to the good, the bad and the ugly nights’ sleep! i started using it fairly recently (although it’s been on my phone for a few months!) and it has really helped me identify the keys to getting a good night’s sleep! there’s a great article about it here if you want to learn more about it. give it a try and let me know what you think!
for the stylish one:
i picked up this popover the other night and i’m obsessed. i can’t wait to style it and get some pictures up! it’s so comfy!
for the interior designer:
did you see this amazing slide show of pink rooms? i will admit i’m not a big fan of pink, but as i’ve been decorating i’ve been drawn to more and more pinkafter seeing this slideshow i may trade in my palette of blues for some of these amazing pinks! i even just picked out a pink paint color for my closet that’s amazing.
for the dc girl:
if you’re in the city this weekend and you like grilled cheese, i highly encourage you to try one of these! i’ve added a couple of them to my list!
for the planner:
these planners are life changing. i’ve never had a better planner (and i’ve had quite a few). the january 2015 ones just went on sale! check them out here. i’m love mine!
what’s on your list for weekend reading? i hope you all have a lovely weekend full of yummy brunches, lazy mornings in bed and fun adventures with friends and family!
happy friday y’all! i don’t know about you but it has been a long week, and i coudn’t be happier that it’s over. there’s something about taking a long weekend and missing a monday that always throws me off, i’d much rather miss a friday, i don’t know why but when i miss mondays the week seems to pass by at a glacial pace.
anyway since it’s friday afternoon and i’m counting down the minutes until i am free for the weekend, here are a few things on my radar this week!
1. have you seen the new under armour commercial? it’s so good! very cool to see such a typically masculine brand develop such an empowering commercial targeting women and our strength. i definitely recommend watching if you haven’t already!
2. the skimm : i have 3 different news sources on my phone, and i watch cnn pretty much all day long in my office, but the skimm is by far my favorite news source! on their home page they say”we do the reading for you – across the subject lines and party lines – and break it down with fresh editorial content – we read. you skimm!” it’s written in a way i would explain the issues and it covers all the major topics of the day, it’s also a bit funny at times which is a nice change of pace from my normal wsj and nyt reading routines! if you haven’t yet, i highly recommend stopping by their website and subscribing, i have loved incorporating it into my morning routine!
3. d’orsay flats and pumps alike! i’m in love with this style shoe and i haven’t been able to stop thinking about the adelia pump since the other day when i got banana republic’s new release emails! i’m in love. i also love the style for a flat, these joie ones are adorable!
4. i’m closing on my condo next week… eek!! i can’t believe how close it is to happening. i’ve been spending a lot of time and energy trying to find the right pieces to decorate the space but i think i’m going to mostly have to wait until i move in so i can get a better feel for it! in the meantime i’ve been gathering tons of ideas from all over the place but i’ve specifically loved looking at style me pretty living’s home tours so many great ideas from so many beautiful homes!
5. in theme with the last one, this article from refinery 29 has some great tips on decorating mistakes to avoid! it’s a great read for anyone who may be about to embark on, or is in the process of, decorating a new space!
Thanks for stopping by! I'm Bree, compulsive traveler, lover of all things turquoise and anything navy and white. The ocean makes my heart happy, and while I'm trying to figure out what's next I'm sharing a little bit of my journey here!