Over the weekend I had so much fun playing tourist in New York City! I’ve spent a ton of time in New York this year it seems but I never get to really sight see so it was fun to spend some time with my mom and sister and wander around playing tourist in New York.
With that said, now that I’ve done it I’d like to go back to the way I’ve been visiting the city the other times I’ve gone in the last year. Playing tourist in New York is a lot of fun but very exhausting and overwhelming. The crowds can be intense and it’s a lot of walking.
We hit pretty much every major spot in NYC: Rockefeller Center, St Patricks Cathedral, Bryant Park, The Rockettes, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, The Brooklyn Bridge, The Empire State Building and Central Park. In two and a half days.
It was a ton of fun but a complete whirlwind tour! I was psyched that we were able to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge since that’s been on my 101 in 1001 list so I was happy to be able to cross that off!
I have a few tips for playing tourist in New York in case any of you are planning a trip (hopefully it will be a little longer than ours was!)
1. Wear comfortable shoes!!!
2. Get a map of both the city and the subway.
3. Have a definitive plan of where you’re going and when!
4. Bring a water bottle with you while you’re exploring
5. Eat your meals a few blocks from the major tourist centers and avoid major chains. Not only will they be crowded and overpriced, you’ll be missing out on some of the best culinary experiences out there.
6. Walk everywhere you’ll see so much more, it’s pretty much impossible to get lost in New York so don’t be afraid to wander!
Do you have any tips for playing tourist in New York?