emma watson has been everywhere this week, and while i still can’t listen to her voice without hearing hermione granger, her speech on saturday at the u.n. was amazing, moving and truly inspiring. she was speaking at the u.n. headquarters to help launch the #HeForShe gender equality campaign. emma watson has always been a great role model for young women, but with this most recent speech she has outdone herself. feminism has such a negative connotation, too often we picture anger, bitterness and anti-men sentiments when we hear the word, i think, on saturday, emma watson stood up and single handedly debunked that connotation by encouraging men to join the feminist conversation. by inviting men to develop a better understanding of and to help stop gender inequality.
this is not the first time emma watson has shown her brilliance to the world, she has been an inspiration since she entered the spotlight in her debut as hermione granger at 11 years old! here are some of my favorite quotes of hers!
1. “i don’t have perfect teeth, i’m not stick thin. i want to be the person who feels great in her body and can say that she loves it and doesn’t want to change anything.”
2. “the saddest thing a girl can do is to dumb herself down for a guy.”
3. “i feel like young girls are told they have to be a princess and fragile. it’s bullshit. i identify much more with being a warrior- a fighter. if i was going to be a princess, i’d be a warrior princess, definitely.”
4. “how can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation? men—i would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. gender equality is your issue too.”
5. “if you truly pour your heart into what you believe in, even if it makes you vulnerable, amazing things can, and will happen.”